e-Bug: Pest Control Forum

How to catch an "invisible bug" (biting mite)

Follow Ups | e-Bug - Pest Control Forum

Posted by Jim on August 04, 2006 at 12:50:09:

Biting mites can be hard to spot. The reason for this is not because they are too small to be seen. It is because they are rarely ever in the area of the body that is feeling a crawling or biting or itching sensation. When you feel this sensation, look at the area of your body that is nearby the area where you felt the sensation. I have discovered mites over a foot away from where I feel the sensation. Although I am not an expert, I suspect that the bugs bites (or whatever it is that causes the sensation of crawling or itching) are felt well after they bite into your flesh and move on to another area of your body. I never, ever have seen a mite that was within the area of the sensation. I have even found mites in areas where no sensation was felt, such as my forearm.

Here is how to catch one. Wait until they come out in full force and you feel them all over your body. This is one of the few instances where you actually want as many bugs as possible to get on you. Do not allow yourself to fall asleep. Stay awake until you find a mite. Constantly be looking over your body. It is best to be wearing no pants. It is possible to find them even with your pants on, and to find them even in the day, possibly on your forearm, but nightime and wearing as few clothes as possible is best. After studying your body over the first few hours, you will begin to notice tiny little specks. Use a piece of clear scotch tape and tape it. Look closely. Notice how it resembles a speck of lint? It almost looks like a little fuzzball. Even more interesting is its movements. When I poked it with a metal object, it actually jumped away about a quarter of an inch faster than an eye blink. I was shocked that it could hop. I had been feeling a hopping sensation on my face for awhile, yet I never read anything about mites hopping around. The mite even attaches itself to the metal object when I poke at it for a while. I never saw the mite move unless I was poking it. The first time I spotted these specks on me (it was daytime, and on my arm) I did not believe they were alive. I actually thought that they were lint. I poked at them, and they appeared to move, but I did not believe my eyes at first. So it is important to trust your eyes. I think that people fail to identify these specks as the culprit of their sensations because the sensation is not present in the area. They assume that the speck in just lint. Do not make this mistake. Go ahead and tape it anyway, even if you are not sure what it is. I spent weeks looking for the bug, yet never found it mostly because I did not know how or where to look for them. I kept looking carefully around the areas where the sensations where felt. When I saw nothing I thought that the bugs were there, but too small to see with the human eye. This is where the idea of an "invisible bug" came from. I never studied the rest of my body for signs of a visible bug because I did not feel any sensations anywhere else in my body. Even then, as I already stated, I thought the specks were lint. Needless to say, before I had discovered the bugs, I too, had people tell me it is delusional parasitosis. I read some of the articles about this mental condition. Some were very dismissive and insulting. They spoke of patients coming into doctors offices with matchboxes or envelopes full of clear scotch tape that had bugs on it. They suggested this is a warning sign that it could be delusional parasitosis. After studying the tape under microscopes they found only dead skin. No bugs. "Well, he must be crazy!!" I too made the mistake of taping ontop the places where I had felt the sensations. I assumed the bug must be on the tape, that the bug must be so small only a microscope could see it. Had I gone to the doctor I bet they would have laughed at my insistance that I have a bug problem, rather than a mind problem. I have seen a few posters on this board do the same. These people, although they pretend to be bug experts, are wrong. That is why I am writing this post. There is no place on the web that shows you how to catch these bugs. I bet people all over the world are making the same mistakes I made in trying to catch them and are presently being laughed at. I bet some are undergoing treatment for mental problems. All because doctors, pest "experts", and others are too ignorant about the difficulty--due to lack of information on the topic--in catching bite mites

There are several types of mites. I found a white mite that looks like dandruff. After poking at it it actually moved around a bit. I have found several of these types of mites. More common ones (on my body, anyway) are the black ones. They are very, very tiny. The size of a period. I have also seen larger ones that are red.

Once you know what they look like, you will feel confident that you can spot them on your sheets ot in boxes, or just about anywhere.

I found 16 on me in one night. How's that for delusional parasitosis?

Follow Ups:

Follow Ups | e-Bug - Pest Control Forum

1-800-226-8370

e-Bug Products - Do It Yourself Pest Control

Quick Links
Search Pests

Search Product Catalog